Saturday, September 16, 2006

This Post Will Probably Offend Everyone. Even My Friends.

We all have things in life that we hate. One of the things that I hate is people who do not pay attention while driving (go ahead, those who don't already know, and ask me why), and one of the things I particulary hate is people who "drive" while talking on a cell phone that they are clutching against their head. Did I say I hate it? Sorry, that was an understatement.

At long last, in California at least, a law has finally been passed making it illegal to drive while holding and speaking on a cell phone.
"Under the law, motorists will be required to use a headset, speaker phone, ear bud or other device that frees up both hands when they talk. Motorists who need to make emergency calls are exempted. Violators will be fined $20 for the first infraction and $50 for subsequent violations."
The law won't take effect until 2008, which is too damn late in my opinion, and I realize that it won't be enforced unless a cop is in a bad mood. But it's a start. The biggest problem with the law as it stands now is that the penalties are pitifully weak. $20? $50? That's ridiculous. Try starting with $1000 and going up from there.

Here's what I consider to be an adequate penalty for people who hold a cell phone to their ear and jabber away while attempting to drive: They will be sentenced to park in front of my residence, with their cell phone, where they will sit in the driver's seat and wait for me. I will then approach their vehicle, smash the window, rip them out of the vehicle, and proceed to beat the living hell out of them. I will make every effort to ensure that they are left broken and bleeding, permanently disabled, and in agonizing pain for the rest of their lives. That's better than they deserve.

And that's how I feel about people driving while talking on cell phones.

9 comments:

Fixer said...

We've had the law on the books for 5 years here in NY. Guess what? The cops can't enforce it.

Unknown said...

Sheanc, I tend to agree with you on driving while talking on a cell phone but I must admit the agreement carries reservations. I wouldn't say I hate it but I do dislike it very much since I have experienced close calls for accidents while riding on the freeways. And fie on those who boast of multitasking skills and claim they can talk and drive very well at the same time. They are NOT as alert to driving needs.

Your punishment for such heedlessness does seem to be a tad drastic. A tad, you understand.

SheaNC said...

Fixer: I expect it'll be that way here, too.

Worried: Yeah, I was admittedly way over the top in describing my penalty. I feel a measure of guilt for that, and I should add that I am more forgiving than the post implies, because I understand that some people just don't realize how dangerous their negligence can be. Unfortunately, my wife and I were not so lucky, and eventually a the near misses stopped and were replacecd by a direct hit, whereupon our lives were devastated. And since the villain paid no penalty and showed no remorse, my rage at the injustice remains as strong as ever, and increases with each episode I encounter, which happens almost every day.

moi said...

Here in the Netherlands we have a law like the one which will be enforced in California. Guess what? It doesn't make a difference - people still drive like idiots, still cause accidents. If only there was something like common sense that could be injected into people who lack it....!

SheaNC said...

Hi, Moniekie. Yeah, that's the problem - the law can't be enforced.

Anonymous said...

sheanc, I had a feeling based on our conversation about this @ work you had been personally touched by this subject. For that I am truly sorry. Altho the fines are low and enforcement seems all but nil perhaps some day they will add that the ticket(s) affect your insurance as well. However, truly it seems (in my opion) the stronger the penalties or punishments really only affects the less 'cronic' offender as in with drunk driving. The penalties are raised yet the true offenders don't give a damn and will continue to do what they want to do with no regard to anyone but themselves and their own self interests.

SheaNC said...

Hi K rystalbawll, I understand your point. That's why my idea of an on-board jamming device is so darn brilliant! 8^)

Anonymous said...

Hi sheanc! That is darn brilliant! Who gets to control the jamming device?

SheaNC said...

Ah, that's the beauty of it - the driver does, via the ignition. They merely have to shut off the car. There's also an added bonus: a boost to the local economy, as Sonic issues coupons for a "Cell Phone Special"!