Friday, March 18, 2005

Wait 'Til You See the Extra Features on the DVD

Ex-Marine Says Public Version of Saddam Capture Fiction
United Press International

A former U.S. Marine who participated in capturing ousted Iraqi President Saddam Hussein said the public version of his capture was fabricated.

Ex-Sgt. Nadim Abou Rabeh, of Lebanese descent, was quoted in the Saudi daily al-Medina Wednesday as saying Saddam was actually captured Friday, Dec. 12, 2003, and not the day after, as announced by the U.S. Army.

"I was among the 20-man unit, including eight of Arab descent, who searched for Saddam for three days in the area of Dour near Tikrit, and we found him in a modest home in a small village and not in a hole as announced," Abou Rabeh said.

"We captured him after fierce resistance during which a Marine of Sudanese origin was killed," he said.

He said Saddam himself fired at them with a gun from the window of a room on the second floor. Then they shouted at him in Arabic: "You have to surrender. ... There is no point in resisting."

"Later on, a military production team fabricated the film of Saddam's capture in a hole, which was in fact a deserted well," Abou Rabeh said.

Abou Rabeh was interviewed in Lebanon.

© YellowBrix, Inc. Copyright 1997-2005
Taking this baby on the road was murder. It's hard enough on Broadway. But wait until the movie comes out - I hear the special effects are awesome...

9 comments:

Simon said...

Hmmmm I don't know about this one Shea, I'd really need to see something to back this one up!

Just cause someone wears a uniform doesn't mean they are incapable of lies! And boy, that is a big claim!

Not saying it is impossible, just saying I need more than one person's story to convince me!

Sorry, I'm going to have to categorize this one as rubbish until I see something further. Don't want to lose a clear head by succumbing to conspiracy theory. ;)

Still, it is interesting just by the fact that a multitude of Americans do not trust their government so much, that this news item would be considered! Times are bad.

SheaNC said...

The fact that it is bizarre and outrageous is what compelled me to post it. I pretty much take it for what it is - one guy's story - if it is true, then it's a hoot. If not, the end result was still the same.

I have become a sort-of born-again conpiracy theorist these days... used to dismiss 'em, now find several quite plausible. I hope to post the info soon. Readers can either laugh, cry, or go AAUUGGH! - all three might be appropriate :)

Simon said...

And you go right on posting them brother! We need good people like you to expose these things for examination.

Watergate, the Tuskegee "experiments", the government's intentional exposure of American's to radiation, and even "Billy's Blowjob" all seemed like conspiracies at first... until the facts came in!

Alright, here are two from my man Carl Sagan that seem appropriate! (lest you think all my quotes are from Nazi's) ;)
"Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense."
"Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves."

SheaNC said...

Laughter, yes... to keep from cryin'!

Actually, this story is a good example of why I am "constantly amazed, yet never surprised". I'm constantly amazed at the information that is revealed about this administration... but, if this story is true, I won't be surprised.

Unknown said...

Remember: Truth is a slave to perception.
http://educationalwhisper.blogspot.com/2005/02/truth.html#comments

Simon said...

So true, doesn't seem like truth matters much to the deluded masses. Against my hopes it appears that Nietzsche was right about the "supermen" after all.

Oh well, he didn't foresee the "Super-pain-in-the-butts", that is us... the people who are going to do our best to bring tyrants down!

So Sheanc made a similar comment about not giving up on us? I knew there was something I liked about that guy. ;)

Thanks for keeping hope alive! It's horrible, before as I travelled abroad I used to have a respectable amount of pride, and a sense of kindred spirit amongst the people of other nations... the last, oh say, right... around... FOUR years, I have been mostly embarrased. (it's like having a drunk relative with you at a quiet social gathering "Oh, I'm so sorry george puked on your dress... here is some club soda.")

And hey, be careful with that wife, those Americans are problems! ;) Mine is a New Yorker... the worst of the lot! (you know I'm kidding, she's the best ;)

Simon said...

Hey sheanc, how about an uplifting funny story next post. I don't know, maybe something like the time when King George fell and hit his head while eating a pretzel. I like that story, it makes my tummy tickle.

SheaNC said...

"Hey sheanc, how about an uplifting funny story next post."

Yeah, we could use some humor. Until I get a humorous post, er, posted, here is one funny one from the past: Politics-R-Us

And here is one that is funny by somebody else: Just sayin'

SheaNC said...

Romablog - that's right, I totally forgot about Jessica Lynch! I thought they would do a movie and a comic book of her life!