Thursday, December 30, 2004

Popeye's Declaration

Did you ever see the movie "Popeye," starring Robin Williams? A live-action version of the old cartoon? In it, one of Popeye's defining moments is during a musical number when he asks, "What am I?" He examines himself, he reflects upon his values, and he arrives at a conclusion.
What am I? Some kind of barnacles on the dinghy of life?
I ain't no doctors but I knows when I'm losin' me patiensk
What am I? Some kind of judge, or a lawyers?
Aw, maybe not; but I knows what laws suits me
So what am I? I ain't no physciscisk, but I knows what matters
What am I? I'm Popeye, the sailor!

And I gots a lot of muskle and I only gots one eye
And I never hurts nobodys and I'll never tell a lie
Tops to me bottoms and me bottoms to me top
And that's the way it is 'till the day that I drop
What am I... What am I?

I yam what I yam!

I can open up an ockean I can take a lot of sail
I can lose a lot of waters and I'll never have to bail
I can pushk up Madagascar grab a whale by the tail
What am I... What am I?

I yam what I yam!

I'm Popeye, the sailor
I'm Popeye, the sailor
I'm Popeye, the sailor
I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam
I yam what I yam what I yam what I yam
I'm Popeye the sailor man!
Why am I telling you this? Because the coming new year brings with it the opportunity for me to reflect upon the same question that dogged Popeye. What am I... what am I?

Someone who reads what I write may think they have me pegged. After all, I've freely admited that I am a liberal, but being liberal allows me the freedom to choose liberally from all the colors in the ideological palette. I'm a lot more than just that one thing. Aren't most of us? In my next blog entry, I'll examine my own values, and if it requres inventing a new ideology for the new year, then we're off to a good start 8^)

No comments: