Thursday, April 10, 2008

Wow... constantly amazed, again.

Yes, amazingly, Randi Rhodes is outta there at Air America radio. And good for her, I say. The state of progressive radio in this country is pretty anemic, and in the Sacramento CA area, the capitol city of the so-called leftest state in the west, it is absolutely non-existant. Really - anyone who can find a lefty radio station around there, please let me know. And Air America, once the great hope of progressive radio, has done more harm than good to our cause.

Not too long ago, they booted one of my heroes, Mike Malloy. Why? Who knows. Maybe they have a death wish, or maybe they are rightwing wolves in sheeps clothing. Either way, the decision sucked. They were on thin ice, damnit.

Then, recently, they suspended Randi Rhodes for calling Hillary Clinton and Geraldine Ferraro "fucking whores" at a live gig that, as far as I know, was not an Air America event. Air America suspended her - so much for free fucking speech. It's okay for Dick Cheney to tell a senator to "go fuck himself" on the floor of the senate, but it's not okay for Randi Rhodes to swear at a live gig. Ooo, swearing... how fucking sinful. What would Air America do if a stand up comic like Lenny Bruce or George Carlin was guesting on one of their shows? Censor them?

Well, she definitely has the last laugh now! She landed at the same radio home that landed Mike Malloy! Woo Hoo! She's now at Nova M radio, who run KPHX 1480 in Phoenix, of all places. I say that because as some know, I am from AZ and lived in Phoenix, including the early/mid 80's when talk radio as we know it was in its infancy and growing into the monster it would soon become. Talk radio in Phoenix started out with a healthy mix of right & left opinion, enthusiastic but not as hateful as it is now. Soon, however, Phoenix followed the national trend and became overwhelmed by rightwing radio. But now... Wow!

You could have knocked me over with a feather when I realized that Phoenix has become home to some badass progressive talk radio, far more than Sacramento has to offer. Is that sad or what!? Geez! And as icing on the cake, they also have Stephanie Miller and Rachel Maddow, more of my favorites... I swear, I am not a paid endorser. But this is a dream team for me.

Anyway, I am hoping Randi and Mike Malloy and all are met with huge sucess in the southwest. Rock on, truthseekers.

5 comments:

Mike of the North said...

Maybe, just maybe, the fact that PHX is a changin' is a sign that the times they are a changin'...maybe.

The Future Was Yesterday said...

"amazingly, Randi Rhodes is outta there at Air America radio."
I don't think you should be able to call anybody anything in a public forum, unless you can prove it. In Randi's case, I think the subject has long since proven it for her, IF Randi's meaning was a political whore.

"Not too long ago, they booted one of my heroes, Mike Malloy. Why?"
I wasn't there so I don't know, but I think a case of ego's fighting wouldn't be a bad guess.

nunya said...

I think Phoenix may be less centrist than San Diego. Wide swings from left to right.

SheaNC said...

Mike: well, we always knew the desert was "cool", ay?

Future: Mike Malloy has a pretty abrasive style, so I figure that was probably a big part of it, actually...

nunya: wide swings, indeed. When I lived there, it seemed like there was a lot more at the polar opposites than there was in the middle.

Mike V. said...

I think people would be surprised at how conservative it is in a LOT of our great state. once you get away from the semi-liberal areas in the bay area or in PARTS of southern CA.
the OC is super conservative.